Fall is right around the corner, and before we know it, cold and flu season will be in full swing as well. Both the cold and flu can be pretty miserable to say the least. However, you don’t need to panic and purchase stock in disinfectant wipes just yet. There are several things you can do to keep you and your family healthy around this time of year. Check out these tips to ensure no one in your family comes down with either!
- Make sure everyone in your family is washing their hands on a regular basis. For younger kids, teach them to sing Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star or the ABC song to ensure they are washing their hands long enough.
- Take advantage of the disinfectant wipes that are available at grocery stores and wipe down the shopping cart handles. It’s also a good idea to keep a travel size disinfectant in your purse or car for those emergency situations.
- Be sure that everyone is getting a good night’s rest. The lack of quality sleep over time can be a huge hindrance in your body’s ability to fight off viruses.
- Be sure to cough into the bend of your arm and not your hand. Coughing into your hand places germs directly on them, this causes germs to spread onto every surface you touch.
- Be sure to wash your sheets once a week and disinfect your house on a regular basis. This can easily be done without the use of harsh chemicals. Instead, try using hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar. Both can be found at your local grocery store and are nontoxic. White vinegar has been found to eliminate 80% of germs from surfaces. The smell quickly evaporates and leaves you with a clean, germ free surface.
- Make sure you are eating a well-balanced diet full of dark green, red, and yellow fruits and vegetables. These foods are full of nutrients that will help keep your immune system strong.
- Consider adding in a vitamin regimen if you find that eating a well-balanced diet is difficult for you. A simple blood test from your doctor can let you know where you are vitamin deficient. Together, you can create a supplement plan that will boost the nutrients you are lacking.
Getting the flu or the common cold is no fun at all. However, there are many basic things you can do to help protect yourself and your family. Try some of these tips to help keep your family healthy this cold and flu season!